Learn about the batik making process with the experienced batik artisans of Jadi Batek, one of the largest batik and handicrafts center located in the heart of Kuala Lumpur. During the workshop, they will first explain the batik making process followed by batik demonstration. You will then get your hands on doing your very own batik piece from sketching your own design, drawing hot wax with traditional tools and painting dye on the fabric for your very own original batik masterpiece.
Guests can choose to create various batik masterpieces:
- Handkerchief (cotton or silk) batik drawing and colouring – 30 x 40 cm (60-90 mins)
- Scarf (cotton or silk) batik drawing and colouring – 90 x 90 cm (90-120 mins)
- Pareo (cotton or silk) batik drawing and colouring – 90 x 200 cm (120-150 mins)
- T-shirt (cotton only) – for adults and kids (60 mins)
- Held twice daily
- Time: 10.00am OR 2.00pm
- Venue: Jadi Batek Gallery, 30, Jalan Inai, Imbi, 55100 Kuala Lumpur
- Price (per person):
- Handkerchief (Cotton) – RM60
- Handkerchief (Silk) – RM80
- Scarf (Cotton) – RM120
- Scarf (Silk) – RM160
- Pareo (Cotton) – RM200
- Pareo (Silk) – RM250
- T-shirt – RM80
Who can attend
- Guests of any age can attend.
- Parent(s) or guardian must accompany children under 12 years old.
- Parents may also bring children less than 2 years of age.
What will be provided
- Materials – Fabric, paint dyes, hot wax
What participants should know
- Suggest bringing a camera (though not an absolute must, but good to capture your memories during the workshop!)
- Please wear comfortable covered shoes
About the expert
Colin Yong is the Managing Director and one of the many artisans at Jadi Batek. With over 20 years of experience in batik making, he strongly believes in preserving Malaysia’s unique heritage and identity of producing high quality batik and handicrafts. Established in 1976 by his parents Yong Jo and Thong Lai Ying, he started working on the family business in 1999 and realised the growing handicraft industry. Since its inception, it expanded from being a souvenir shop to a handicraft centre which not only provided handicraft items for sale but also offer customers – locals and tourists – an experience through interactive activities such as viewing batik demonstrations by its stable of artisans and making their own batik master piece.
BOOK YOUR EXPERIENCE
Fill in the form below to book your experience and we will get back to you as soon as possible!